Thursday, January 7, 2010

Tasting worksheet

Before we got started with the first tasting I wanted to have a page to take notes about the wine we are tasting.  The Windows on the World book actually has an example of a sheet Kevin Zraly uses in his class.  His sheet is based on his 60-second wine expert tasting method.  The basic idea is that you should focus on the wine for 60-seconds after you swallow it.  You can read the details in a post he made on Gather.com.  I had two problems with this tasting worksheet.  The first problem is that it was in the physical book so I could not easily print copies.  The second problem was that I wanted a few more descriptors on the sheet to help me as a novice and to hopefully make the process a bit more consistent as I taste multiple wines.


I searched the web and found a lot of examples of tasting notes and scoring sheets.  Some were very basic and I did not think I was ready for scoring.  The Wine for Newbies site pointed me to De Long's Wine Tasting form.  This seemed like the best form for me so I printed a couple of copies in preperation for my first tasting.  You can download a copy from their site.  They also sell a hardcover book version on Amazon that contains additional information to help you get started with tasting.


At some point I may try to create my own form that combines a bunch of concepts from many different forms I saw, but for now I will stick with the De Long form.

No comments:

Post a Comment