Friday, January 1, 2010

Buying wines for the first tasting

Class one in the Windows on the World book is about the White Wines of France. The chapter ends with suggested wine tastings for ten wines broken into five different parts. I expect most of the tasting to be done by just my wife and me so we decided to do each part on a different night in attempt to avoid a lot of unfinished bottles. Based on our schedules, young son, etc. these five tastings may take a while, but like I said in the introduction, I am planning to work through this book slowly.

I wanted to prepare for the first two tastings so I needed to get some wine. One of the reasons I decided to use this book and not just pick up where I left off with Adrea Immer's book was that I assume since her book was about five years old her tasting recommendations would be out of date. For these tastings I need to get: 


  • Trimbach Riesling 2007
  • Muscadet, Marquis de Goulaine 2007
  • Pouilly Fume, Jolivet 2007

Now the big test - can I find these wines?


I happen to be lucky enough to live in state where I can buy wine at the grocery store and even the gas station. I decided to skip both of these options while searching for these three bottles. I went to a bigger liquor store that I considered to have a big selection. To my delight, when I went to the French section the Trimbach Riesling was easy to find. Unfortunately, they did not have a single Muscadet and none of the Pouilly Fume's on the recommended list.

I came home and decided to use the internet. My first stop was Wine.com. Wine.com had two pages of Muscadet's listed but they were all sold out. After a couple of hours on the internet I found a site named Gary's Wine & Marketplace. They did not have the Marquis de Goulaine Muscadet but they did have a Sauvion Muscadet which was on the other recommended list. They also had the Jolivet Pouilly Fume. For good measure I decided to also buy a Sauvion Sancerre since it sounded good when I read the information about the wines of the Loire Valley. The good news was that I now had my wines for the first two tastings. The bad news was that I had to pay $20 to ship three bottles of wine which was about 25% of the total cost.

In the future I hope to find a better local source or figure out how to get a deal on shipping.

One additional note, after I already purchased my wines from Gary's I found a site named wine-searcher.com. According to their about page, the site has " 3,541,969 offers from the price lists of 15,822 wine merchants." I was able to find the Marquis de Goulaine Muscadet using this site. The site also makes it very easy to see the prices of the same wine from multiple merchants.

No comments:

Post a Comment